Salisbury Association Timeline
1902-Incorporation of the Association; Sept. 6, First meeting at the Scoville Library.
1903—Joseph Parsons reports 25 trees planted at 25 cents each, plus freight of $1.70; Old Home Week celebration held; fire destroys much of downtown.
1904—First gas lights in Salisbury; Lakeville Hose Company established in response to fire of 1903; Salisbury Public Health Nursing Services opens.
1905—190 trees planted, adding to total of 502 by end of 1904; telephone service comes to Salisbury.
1907—Association allocates $200 for repair of railroad grounds and station in Lakeville.
1909—Salisbury Savings merges with Burrall Trust to become Salisbury Bank & Trust.
1912—Salisbury Association has a membership of 92 with $584 in savings.
1913—Membership has grown to 285; First Salisbury Fair, 5,000 people attend; Association’s archival collection begins with the collection of the Town’s birth, marriage, death and cemetery records, and the publication of a “Military History of Salisbury.”
1914—Membership continues to grow, with 637 residents and non-residents joining; Taconic School closes and later becomes the Wake Robin Inn.
1915—Riggs School, the predecessor of Indian Mountain School, is founded; Bissell Fund established in honor of Dr. William Bissell to assist residents in need of medical care.
1916—Salisbury’s 175th anniversary.
1917—Salisbury Association’s Fair cancelled because of World War I; 164 local men serving in the military; Boys and Girls Garden Club formed and holds exhibition; Hubert C. Williams American Legion Post organized.
1919—The Association begins cemetery maintenance; 750 trees sprayed.
1923—Mount Riga, Inc. established summer colony.
1927—Last CNE passenger train to Salisbury.
1928—Salisbury Band formed.
1929—New high school on Lincoln City Road opens; Salisbury Outing Club, which later becomes Salisbury Winter Sports Association, organized.
1930—Salisbury Welfare Society founded, which becomes Salisbury Family Services.
1939—Malcolm Rudd, one of the three founding members, is president of the Association; Housatonic Valley Regional High School opens, first regional high school in Connecticut; former high school becomes an elementary school; Institute of World Affairs moves from Geneva, Switzerland to Taconic, summer home of its founders, Mr. & Mrs. Alexander Hadden.
1941—Lakeville Post Office opens.
1942—Asssociation’s new president is W.B. Rand; Last Association fair is held Labor Day at George Miner farm; Salisbury Association meetings suspended because of World War II.
1945—469 Salisbury men and women serve in the armed forces during World War II.
1946—Association meetings begin again; Joseph R. Swan is the new president.
1947—Major issues in Salisbury are town planning and traffic; Street lights come to Salisbury.
1948—Association elects John McChesney as president.
1950—W.D. Brown is Association president; Holley Grove acquired by the Town and becomes the Town Grove; Salisbury Rotary chartered.
1951—Maurice Firuski elected Association president.
1952—Housatonic Mental Health Center Founded.
1953—Upper building at Salisbury Central School built.
1954—Association elects its first woman president, Mrs. D. J. Warner.
1955—Town of Salisbury adopts planning and zoning.
1956—Arnold Whitridge elected president; Abbott Hamilton is vice president; Hamilton proposes the Association restore the Academy Building.
1960—Dedication of the restored Academy Building.
1961—Association begins Operation Flowerbox.
1963—Association opposes abandonment of Canaan/Lakeville rail connection.
1965—Rail connection to Salisbury ends.
1967—Holley Block raised and site eventually becomes Bicentennial Park.
1968—Need seen for Town history museum and conservation committee. Association has 581 members.
1969—Association receives tax exempt status.
1970—Historic District Commission formed. Housatonic Day Care Center opens.
1971—Holley Williams House left to the Association. Salisbury Volunteer Ambulance formed.
1972—Noble Horizon begins construction after gift from Mr. & Mrs. John Noble.
1973—Land Trust begins.
1974—Dues increased to $2 per person.
1975—Study of Lake deterioration. Association and Selectmen join to preserve lake.
1976—Transfer Station established.
1977—Committee on Aging established.
1979—First weed harvesting on Lake. Geer Adult Day Care founded.
1981—Virginia Belcher Toulmin bequest to the Association for the improvement of facilities at the Town Grove.
1983—Women’s Support Services founded.
1985—Dues increase to $5. Town Hall burns as result of arson.
1986—Photo archive begun.
1987—Association receives Powell Fund to support tree planting and maintenance throughout Town.
1988—Sarum Village dedicated on land acquired through the Association. New Town Hall dedicated. EXTRAS established.
1989—Associations funds exceeds $1 million for the first time. Association publishes its first newsletter and moves to the Academy Building. Lake Wononscopomuc Association founded along with Older Women’s League.
1990—Indexing of The Lakeville Journal begins. Long Range Planning Advisory Council created.
1991—Housatonic Youth Services Bureau begins.
1992—Association membership at 645. Cannon Museum proposed. Academy Park reborn. Farm Fair reinitiated.
1993—Renovated Academy Building provides Association office space.
1994—Cannon Museum opens. Bequest from Stewart Hoskins estate supports Lakeville Journal indexing project. Route 41 and 44 designated scenic by CT DOT.
1995—Moore Brook biomonitoring project initiated.
1996—Tri-Corners History Council formed. First full time professional director hired for Holley Williams House. Hewat and Thomas easements protect south side of Selleck Hill. Two-volume “Historic and Architectural Resource Survey of Salisbury, CT” published.
1997—Association offers to pay independent consultant to study traffic flow at Salisbury Central School intersection.
1998—Association Land Trust joins Sharon Land Trust to buy land to protect joint view shed. Toulmin Fund tapped for new dock and sewer connection at Town Grove. Association urges new initiative for affordable housing.
1999—Mary E. Schlesinger grants 19 Undermountain Road acres to the Association’s Land Trust.
2000—Membership tops 900. Salisbury Forum initiated. Task forces formed and public meetings held. $200,000 in restoration monies approved for Holley Williams House. Tri-Corners History Council joins with Upper Housatonic Valley National Heritage Area to seek National Heritage area designation.
2001—Salisbury Forum Task force pursues issues identified in public meetings. Bird sanctuary planned for Schlesinger property. Town grants Association 20-year lease on the Academy Building.
2002—Salisbury Forum’s independent subcommittee becomes independent entity—Salisbury Housing Trust. Association Centennial Committee plans July celebration.